6 Tips to Stay Confident in the Gym

Making the commitment to start going to the gym can be exciting, but it can also be very intimidating. On one hand, you're excited to make a positive change in your life, but on the other, you aren't sure what to expect. I know that when I first started out, I thought people would judge me for my lack of knowledge of where things were and how scrawny I was at the time. Eventually, I got over that fear, and I'm here to tell you how to do it too. 

1. Shower Before the Gym

This might be an odd concept, but one thing that really helps me feel good at the gym is feeling clean. This includes showering, doing your hair and doing makeup if applicable. People probably won't notice the effort you put in, but you'll feel much better walking in and not immediately feeling gross. I like to think "We look good, we feel good, we lift good."

2. Wear What Makes You Feel Good

When going to a gym, you'll notice there isn't a standard dress code. Lots of people will work out in expensive workout apparel, while others may wear torn up jeans and a baggy shirt. I personally feel much more confident when I wear clothes that I think I look good in. This might include tank tops, compression shirts, or shorter shorts. If I go to the gym wearing a hoodie and baggy joggers, I don't perform nearly as well because I prefer how I look in my other clothes. It's ultimately up to the wearer - would you prefer to dress up or dress down?

3. Ask Questions

Going to a new gym regardless of your experience can be daunting - you might think you look like a fool walking around not knowing where anything is! Nobody will judge you if you ask them a question about what a machine does, or where you can find a machine. You might even make a new friend out of it. 

4. Work Out with a Friend

Going to the gym with a friend can make you feel a lot better about yourself because you're not constantly in your head thinking about what other people are thinking of you. If your friend has exercise experience, think of it as free personal training. You tend to become incredibly close with the people you work out with - my best friend and I have been working out together for years and it has only made us closer. He now goes to ISU, but we still make it a priority to work out together at least a couple times a month. 


Me and my buddy about 3 years apart.


5. Find a Great Playlist

The difference between working out with and without music is night and day. Music will get you pumped up and ready to get a great lift in. My style ranges from Three Days Grace to Taylor Swift. Whatever gets you in the mood, go for it!

When doing cardio, I'd actually recommend skipping music and instead watching a movie. To motivate myself to do more cardio, I've been putting on Marvel movies and watching them. I find that it takes my mind away from the pain and actually get some enjoyment out of cardio. 

6. Accept That People May Judge You

Unfortunately, there is a chance that people will judge you. I've been on both sides of this. When I was just starting out, people would make fun of how tiny my wrists were, or how small I looked in my tank tops. As a way to make myself feel better, I would also make fun of people for the way they looked or behaved. I was in high school at the time, but that doesn't excuse what I did, and I feel awful knowing that I could be the reason someone stopped going to the gym. But don't let this stop you from going! The gym is a beautiful community where people support each other. You'd be surprised how genuine the gym community can be. 

Conclusion

There are lots of ways to be more confident in the gym, but these are my six tips to make you feel a bit more comfortable. If you're just starting out, don't worry! The more you go to the gym, get a feel for the environment and make new friends, that anxiety will go away. Hopefully this encourages you to take that leap and make a lifestyle change for the better!


Comments

  1. These are such great tips! I definitely think that it canbe daunting to go to the gym at times especially when starting a new gym or even new workout routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first started working out I would wear a t-shirt and leggings but am confident enough now to just wear a bra and leggings. I love your tip number 4. Work out with friends is always the way to go or even blasting your music putting yourself in your own little world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pump Up Your Pecs: How I Work Out My Chest

My Secret to Getting a Whack Back

Leg Day, Part 1: The Quadfather (and Calves)